Yellow Ostrich Fade Cave EP


As I write this I have only listened to 3 minutes and 19 seconds of Yellow Ostrich's Fade Cave EP, but I'm quite convinced from this small sample size that I will be impressed by the next five songs. The record is (I've read) simply composed of Alex Schaaf's vocals and a drum machine. No chill-wave synths or swedish guitar licks - just singing.

It reminds me quite a bit of Julianna Barwick's music, as well as the more obvious influences - Noah Lennox, Beach Boys, etc. The drums could be described as tribal, and comparisons to Animal Collective aren't too much of a stretch. The music however lacks the weirdness of AC; it is simple, no frills - almost cheesy in a Lion King kind of way, but it works...at least through two tracks.

The final song, "I'll Run", has an immediacy and dark energy that ends the album solidly. Worth checking out for sure. Oh and did I mention the EP was free? So you probably will check it out no matter what I say.

Here are the first (rips - in a good way - the melody from Atlas Sound's "Walkabout") and last songs on the album:

[mp3] Yellow Ostrich :: Bread
[mp3] Yellow Ostrich :: I'll Run


If you like what you hear you can download the entire EP for free over at bandcamp.
[Via I Guess I'm Floating, who have been writing up some fantastic new bands lately]

0 comments:

Post a Comment