Sara's lists for 2009.

So, I saw my high-school b.f.f. this week when she came over to ask my family what our "new intentions" were going to be for this upcoming year. I started to think and I realized that, this last quarter especially, I've been complaining about having no time to do a lot of projects because I had no time, when in actuality, I managed to keep up with at least 7 tv shows, watch movies, take naps, and just generally waste time. In an effort to quit that, I am going to attempt, for the first time to write some year-end lists instead of simply sitting around my parents' house.



Albums I was super excited for, regardless of what happened when I actually heard the music...
Dark Was the Night: various artists

The albums I fell in love with (No particular order)

To Be Still: Alela Diane

I heard this album almost as soon as it came out and immediately fell in love. Alela is one of my go-to bands. If nothing else seems to fit my mood, she somehow always does. Her voice and storytelling are my favorites.

Bitte Orca: The Dirty Projectors

When this album came out, I wrote it off. Then, eventually I gave into Brandon and Scott's giddy exclamations and gave it a try. It was one of those albums I have to listen to a few times before I have my own true opinion about it. However, once it fully hit me, I haven't stopped listening to it since. This album is incredible, easily one of my top 10 favorites of all time.

Declaration of Dependence: Kings of Convenience

Honestly, I've been meaning to get this album forever, and I am just now listening to it in full for the first time. But, brilliance. Their voices are so soothing. Can K.o.C. create anything less than beautiful?

Dragonslayer: Sunset Rubdown

I still haven't given this the time it deserves, but when I do listen it's always a good experience. The few songs I actually have rated are all 4s and 5s. I have a few good memories screaming along to anna anna anna o. I feel like this is an album I'm already a fan of that will only continue to grow on me.

Songs of Shame: Woods

I sort of stopped listening to this one after a while, but I don't think my love will ever really die. Woods, to me, speak of an eeriness and a longingness that I just haven't felt in a couple of months, but that is lovely to hear. I found Woods at a weird point, they will always hold those memories.

It's Blitz!: Yeah Yeah Yeahs

This album is so great to scream along to driving around in the middle of the night. Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a band that always stick with me as being terrific, but hardly strike me as someone to listen to here and now. I can't explain my moods, but I wish they matched up with this album more.

It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All a Dream! it's Alright: MeWithoutYou

This album took me by surprise. I always just sort of decided that I hated MeWithoutYou because they are simply too loud and they yell and whatever else I simply decided with no actual knowledge. However, Brandon made me listen to this album and I'm so glad, Aaron Weiss' voice is so crazy great and I love that they tell stories.

Dark Was the Night (Pt. 1)

I can't get into the second disc at all, but the first part is absolutely incredible! It's a compilation of some of my favorite artists singing covers of other favorites with other favorites! it's so terrific. An album that never seems to get old.

Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix: Phoenix

I never gave these guys a chance until I saw the Brat Pack mashup for Lisztomania which I couldn't help but watch again and again, leading to my love for other songs and eventually the album as a whole, I think this may be my top listened to album of 09 just because I picked up dancing in my living room.

The Crying Light: Antony and the Johnsons

I just love Antony's voice. Best experience: having to walk to work after my bus broke down, crossing a bridge over 1-5 and pausing to watch the traffic in the misty rain to Antony's voice of tears. That is the best.

Honorable Mentions:
Beasts of Season: Laura Gibson
Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle: Bill Callahan
Rockwell: Anni Rossi
Merriweather Post Pavilion: Animal Collective

Please, don't get mad at me for "neglecting" to put Animal Collective or Grizzly Bear on here. These aren't trying to be 'the best' albums or the albums that were the most popular; these are the albums that struck me, changed me, and made an impact on my year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment