Record Store Day

Record Store Day!

According to their website, Record Store Day was "founded in 2007 as a celebration of the unique culture surrounding over 700 independently owned record stores in the USA, and hundreds of similar stores internationally." The joyous day is now celebrated yearly on the second saturday of April (which is the 11th). Reasons to attend include "Special vinyl and CD releases and various promotional products are made exclusively for the day and hundreds of artists in the United States and in various countries across the globe make special appearances and performances."

The websites features an absurd litany of artist quotes in support of the project. And, in a strange move, the hands down best quote was from Meatwad who is apparently anti-indie-music-store though endearingly subtitled "Aqua Teen Hunger’s mostly peaceful, childishly simple-minded mass of compressed meat - not approved for human consumption." He writes: 

“If it weren't for Best Buy, I would have never discovered the New Release Aisle. And if it weren't for the New Release Aisle, I would have never discovered Panic! At the Disco. And if it weren't for Panic! At the Disco, I would have never starting wearing mascara with my top hat, which is what I was wearing when I beat my 12-year old neighbor to death with a set of cast-iron log tongs. If it weren't for my dead 12-year old neighbor, I would have never gone to prison. But if it weren't for my fireplace, I would have never discovered my cast- iron log tongs. So who truly is to blame for the death of my stupid neighbor? I blame independent record stores.”

The quotes are really worth perusing. They offer bits from none other than Bruce Springsteen who is "singlehandedly supporting what's left of the record business" and Paul McCartney who offers "Cheers!" among other things. Highlights include northwest heroes Colin Meloy and Rocky Votolato givin some love to Sonic Boom RecordsRegina Spektor who is characteristically sincere, and Max Richter predictably using phrases like "unexpected magic and lucid memories" and "faceless sociopathic corporations." He should really hang out with Andrew Bird.

Easy Street Records is set to participate, though no word yet on what festivities may ensue. You can find the full list of participating Washington locations Here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment