Cuddle Up With: Secret Cities

When I first heard Secret Cities' single "Boyfriends" I immediately thought of Brandon. Maybe it was the cute whistles or the loveable lo-fi jangle but for whatever reason I knew Brandon would love it. I'm not sure if he does because he is half way across the world right now and I have yet to discuss the matter with him (so, do you?). The fact that he hasn't beaten me to posting about Secret Cities is, in retrospect, quite astounding.

Hailing from Fargo, a not-so-secret city that post-1996 has only been remembered for one thing, Secret Cities crafts a well balanced blend of funeral strings, harmonies, fuzzed percussion and simple lyrics. The songs on their debut Pink Graffiti (no relation) flow seamlessly, each track leaning slightly towards the next with a heavy rhythmic grace.

Its the type of music I would write if I could. Each vocal melody drops exactly where you want it to-- the first listen is like rereading a picture book from childhood; somehow you know what is coming next.
Childhood does seem to be the main stylistic inspiration for Pink Graffiti. Bells and whistles conjure up the playfulness of Sufjan but are juxtaposed with sad drawn out melodies. Like Arcade Fire, Secret Cities settles within a melodic chasm between happiness and melancholy that can really only be described as child-like. Their label sums it up quite nicely: "Pink Graffiti is (mostly) about Brian Wilson and young people".

[mp3] Secret Cities :: Boyfriends
[mp3] Secret Cities :: Pink City

Pink Grafitti is out now on Western Vinyl 

1 comments:

brandonpaulweaver | July 28, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I do.

Post a Comment