Wise Blood - Interview


Wise Blood - STRT SRNS

Christopher Laufman makes soulful, sample based jams out of Pittsburgh under the name Wise Blood. He has a Myspace with a couple thousand hits and a Free EP that is blowing up the blogosphere. Christopher and I recently discussed a few things via emails, including cemeteries, relation to Flannery O'Connor, and a new EP for the song featured here,


BCB: You recently moved to Pittsburgh from Houston. Why was that?
CL: I took a semester off from school, as of right now, I'm working in a cemetery.

BCB: What are you studying in school?
CL: I was looking into archaeology.

BCB: What is it like working in a cemetery?
CL: I enjoy working in a cemetery, it gives you a good perspective.

BCB: Given that your bandcamp name is Haze Motes, a character from Flannery O'Connor's novel Wise Blood which is also your project name, I assume you are a fan. Why did you choose that name and what is your connection with O'Connor?
CL: I like the name, I like its different meanings. And I heard that we might be related. That's why I got into her writing at a young age.

BCB: You are currently unsigned but I could easily see your EP getting picked up and distributed by a label. Cymbals Eat Guitars like you too. What are your aspirations for your music? Is this a career or a project?
CL: I have big plans for the music. Hopefully they work out. I don't want to give anything away.

BCB: I read that you took guitar lessons as a kid. what is the ratio of samples to instruments on the EP?
CL: The whole album is essentially built upon different samples that I pieced 2gether, it's only the last song, "MI + AMORE" that's played on guitar.

BCB: "+" clocks in at just over 10 minutes. Is the shorter EP form something you are partial to? Is this part of future music?
CL: I wouldn't say that the length of the EP is intentional, but maybe it's telling.

BCB: Your music on bandcamp is tagged as "future music." Could you elaborate on this at all?
CL: I like that term, I saw it used to describe the music that Joker makes. I think it's a label 2 aspire to.

BCB: Nostalgia is a word that gets kicked around in a lot of music descriptions these days and I have seen it in terms of your music. Is this something you think about when writing?
CL: I try not include any nostalgic aspects in my music, I think everyone should be looking forward. Although, it's inevitable that at some point it will creep in there.

BCB: Your music seems really soulful to me, especially the Prince-y vocals (not to mention the track four Motown reference). There are also a lot of sample based Panda Bear or Atlas Sound-esque loop repetitions. What music do listen to and what has influenced your own writing?
CL: I've been trying to listen to music that reflects what I'm trying to make. Anything thats melodic with interesting surroundings.

BCB: Do you perform any of you music live? Or has it been mostly a recording project. Would you ever be interested in touring (and playing a show here in Seattle?)
CL: Right now I'm in the process of getting the EP ready to play live. I would definitely be interested in taking it different places, including Seattle. As soon as its ready I'll get on stage. I'm actually taking a week to get the live show 2gether starting on August 17th with a friend of mine, after it's complete I'll be ready to get out there and breath new life into all the material.

BCB: You also were working on video accompaniment for your songs. Are you still working on that?
CL: Yeah, I'm still trying to get some video 2gether, it's taking longer than I thought though. There is going to be a video out with a new song before the release of the next EP, it will involve the efforts of different people across the world all coming together online and creating something great.

1 comments:

Anonymous | August 16, 2010 at 3:54 AM

loving the ep and expectantly waiting for more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTyR_299gQE

Post a Comment