Track Review; Modest Mouse - "Autumn Beds"

New Song From Modest Mouse

Spinner.com debuted a new Modest Mouse song today entitled "Autumn Beds." The song is fairly downtempo and moves along with a consistent hop-and-a-skip drum beat and some sweet banjo action. As we have seen before, newer Modest Mouse songs like "Satellite Skin" seem to try and make the most out of a simple theme and play with it for three or four minutes. However, with "Satellite Skin" I felt like there wasn't enough substance to support the song throughout that time. Maybe because "Autumn Beds" is a more intimate, minor chord type of song it lends itself more to this sort of quiet repetition. Without trying to do too much, they sort of let the song takes its natural course, playing with the dynamics throughout. One of my favorite things about the song is that (singer) Isaac Brock several of the various registers and textures he can get out of that wonderful voice of his again. This song might even be my favorite new Modest Mouse in years (I am on my 6th consecutive listen). I hope its a sign of things to come from my Issaquah hometown compatriots.

Listen to "Autumn Beds" here.

1 comments:

zanderbough | June 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM

OMG that stranger article is the greatest thing ever. I can't imagine issaquah that rural.
I share Isaac's hatred for strip malls. And I didn't realize they were so young when "this is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about" came out. That CD is wonderful.

Post a Comment