Woods Sing of Shame


Woods came out with a new album, Songs of Shame on April 14 through Woodsist. I have never disliked this band, let me make that perfectly clear. BUT, there was definitely a specific day when my taste for them went from "eh, this is acceptable" to "oh em gee, I need this in my ears right now all day e'er day". Seriously, it was that sudden epiphany feeling. They have an eerie sound and a sense of longing that I am completely mesmerized by.

Songs of Shame, I am pleased to announce, kept the same lo-fi, though cheery-and-eerie-upbeat-but-slightly-creepy sound that, for reasons unexplicable, I cannot resist. I think part of why I love this band is their utter contradictions.
My favorite song on the album is "Military Madness". There's a good beat, a lovely vocal line and sad, personal lyrics: "military madness is killing the country, solitary sadness creeps over me".
I also like the song, "Rain On" (easily found on the interweb (prolly cuz it's the single)). This song is classic Woods and the singing is soothing and melancholy, like rain. Mmmm... allusion to what's within through the title? I think so.
I could keep going... Every song on this album is fantastic. But for one exception: "September with Pete". I have to admit, this could just be my personal thing, someone else may think this is terrific. But I, for one, get bored with repetitive intros that should last 35 seconds, and instead last for 9 1/2 minutes. Come on. I wanna hear that pretty voice o' yers...

Anyway: listen, download, buy, love.
(myspace, "military madness", Songs of Shame, respectively)

0 comments:

Post a Comment