Akron/Family Live - "Everyone is Guilty"

Akron/Family Now Only Three Members, Still Sound like Ten

I am still not altogether sure what I think about Akron/Family's new album Set 'em Wild, Set 'em Free (which, as previously reported, came out yesterday). Since I initially felt like the album's constantly changing styles were somewhat hard to penetrate, I read a lot of reviews. I used to read generally negative reviews, and now I read really great reviews. However, whatever I think about the album as a whole, I do know that the first song on the album "Everyone is Guilty" will probably be in my favorite 15 songs of the year. It is so dynamic to the point where the fun they are having actually comes through my shitty mac speakers. And (if this is even possible), I think this live video of the song is even better than the recording (which, as I have read, seems to be a trend with their music).

This particular version delays the funky guitar and bass portion of the jam that begins the recording (the drums skillz are ever present though) in order to spend some time in a sing a long type intro (Pete Seeger would be proud). The sing along evolves into the beautiful harmonies that drew me initially to their self titled debut way back in the day until giving way to the aforementioned jam. Definitely improved by the contrast. I feel like I was walking around some field in Ireland hanging out with people in cloaks and suddenly found myself on the Tower of Terror getting slapped in the face by the ghost of James Brown. So. Much. Fun.

This turns into a pep-rally-esque call and response which turns into the chanting vocals that permeated their last album, Love is Simple. Of course this transitions into some epic guitar based badassery wherein guitarist Seth Olinsky completely out rocks his head band. Raw! The one unfortunate part that I noticed was a guitar solo that didn't seem to go so well. Maybe it wasn't as tight as it could have been. Other than that this video is completely awesome. Its like tribal-prog-folk-rock. I feel physically tired just watching it.



Listen to Akron/Family's Myspace.
Buy Akron/family Set em Wild, Set 'em Free [Dead Oceans; 2009]
Download "Everyone is Guilty" - Set 'em Wild, Set 'em Free

1 comments:

Anonymous | May 10, 2009 at 9:52 PM

the first two songs of this album are INCREDIBLE. the rest meh.

Post a Comment